Warehouse Row Buildings:
Ice Company (1903)
702 P Street
Industrial Brick, Period Revival influence
The Fresno Consumers Ice Company was begun in 1903 under the name San Joaquin Ice Company. It was advertised at that time as the largest such facility on the Pacific Coast. The company changed its name to Fresno Consumers Ice Company in 1904. It concentrated solely on the manufacturing of ice, the first plant in Fresno to do so. It also was the first ice company in Fresno to make home deliveries. Horse-drawn wagons were used until 1924, when the company made the transition to trucks. At its peak, the Fresno Consumers Ice Company had a production capacity of thirty tons a day. Its work force grew from 250 in 1903 to 2000 employees during the 1920s and 1930s. In 1946, the company made the transition from ice production to cold storage, but by then it already had made its mark in the commercial development of Fresno.
In August 2008 the brick portions of the Consumers Ice Company were declared a public safety hazard and demolished. The only section of this building that remains is the 1928 three-story concrete structure.