Fresno Republican Printery (1919)
The Fresno Republican Printery building was designed to accommodate the job printing division of the Fresno Morning Republican newspaper. Published from 1876 until 1932, the Republican was a major force in the social, cultural, and publishing history of early California. Control of the printery later was assumed by William Glass, and then in 1925 by Leon Camy. Changing technology eventually rendered the printery obsolete, and it was closed in the 1970s. In 1982 the building was converted into a private dining facility known as the Downtown Club.