Fresno City College
Administration Building (1916)
1101 E. University Avenue
George McDougall, Architect
Renaissance, Lombardic influence
The Old Administration building is the only surviving complex remaining from the Fresno State Normal School, the first institution of higher education for the training of teachers in the San Joaquin Valley. Construction began in 1915 and was completed in 1916; it was the first permanent building on the campus. The building originally contained administrative offices, classrooms and a library on the second floor. After standing empty for many years and threatened with demolition, the building was restored and re-opened in 2011.