Fresno Daily Expositor Building
1029-1031 Fulton Mall
The original one-story brick building for the Fresno Daily Expositor, Fresno's first newspaper, was erected here in 1881. A second story was added in 1888, and a one-story addition to the rear in 1898. Editorial offices for the newspaper were located upstairs, and the printing presses were downstairs. The building later became a saloon on the first floor and a lodge hall on the second. The stepped parapet once evident on the façade of the building is still clearly visible on the rear elevation.
The façade was stucco-wrapped as part of the Fulton Mall project in the 1960s, and so the building has lost much of its historic integrity. It was found eligible for the Local Register, however, as one of the oldest existing buildings in Fresno.